Monday, August 22, 2011

Another Week!

Today we celebrate another week with Colton Michael! Each day is truly a gift and a blessing, but it's interesting how quickly I can take the time for granted even now. He's been moving so much I feel like he's so strong I can't help but think, well, obviously he's made it to 28 weeks. The reality of his disorder is always, always in my mind but it's not until I go a couple hours without feeling him move that I remember the danger and the truth about the situation.

The other day I realized, while having a conversation with a friend on the phone, that for a moment Colton's Trisomy 13 had complete escaped me. This was really strange and I felt a little guilty. How could I forget, even for a moment? It's not that I'm inconsolable all the time, on the contrary, the Lord has blessed us with immeasurable peace, but in my mind I always know the situation. Which can start to weigh me down sometimes but it also reminds me of how precious each moment and every movement is. I feel like everything I've done since we found out has been very deliberate or at least noted or examined more than usual. So, to have moments that go by completely disconnected seems really weird and wrong. I'm not sure if I should be thankful for them or what. I think every parent must feel this way. No matter what you do or where you go, you know you have kids at every moment of every day. Even if they are not around, you know they are yours and they continue to be a part of you and your daily life.

I asked the doctor, if I got a stethoscope could I hear the babies heartbeat. :) She said no and that it wasn't a good idea anyways, because it's not always easy to find a babies heartbeat in utero and if by chance I couldn't find it one day, I'd panic and chances are, his heart would be pumping perfectly fine. Okay. I get it. :) I just panic a little bit every time I can't feel him move this instant! I just want to meet him so badly. I know I should be grateful for this moment, and I truly am. It's a tremendous thing to be 28 weeks pregnant and I love it! But the thought of never meeting him terrifies me. I don't usually let myself think passed today, passed this one minute because I just can't.

You know, I can't stress enough how all your prayers, stories and support have given us so much comfort during this whole ordeal. Last night my mom told me there was a church in the Philippines praying for us and baby Colton! Isn't that just amazing! Our church focuses a great deal on community and how much we need each other and we are called to live in community with one another. To share in our triumphs and trials. Well, our community just got a whole lot bigger and its all thanks to each and every one of you! I know so many of you have shared this blog and this story with people and churches all over and we are eternally grateful for your willingness to maybe relive some difficult memories or your willingness to be uncomfortable in order to reach out or to just share our story but please, know that through your time and your prayers and compassion for our family you have created a stronghold that I have never witnessed before and I blessed to be apart. I keep going back to the title that Corey gave our blog, Uncommonly Blessed. How true it rings to me today not only for the wonderful gift of Colton Michael but for all of you as well. Thank you for being a part of our lives and our community. God bless you all.

1 comment:

  1. "But the thought of never meeting him terrifies me." This made me tear up. I am so glad to read that you feel peace, though.

    You and Corey and Colton are an inspiration. Thank you for continuing to share your story.

    ReplyDelete